So on Wednesday, after I borrowed the truck from my mom so that I could have transportation to various places, I stopped by.... Okay, technically I drove out of my way..... to drop box tops off at Franklin, and then to let them know I was able to sub.
One of the 4th grade teachers was waiting to talk to the receptionist after me, so I hurried and left.
Surprise of that night, I got a call. It was the teacher I had seen in the office and she needed a sub! (YAY!!!)
There were some minor problems with adding me to the system, so she called the principal, who said for me to just show up and the receptionist would take care of it. I was fine with that.
And then my adventure continued.
I woke up and got ready and made my way over to the school. I got there and said the teacher asked me to sub, and I heard the dreaded information: "There's already a person in the system for that job."
(Pause for jaw dropping moment.)
"The teacher asked me to and said to just come in. She talked to the principal who said it was alright."
"But there's already someone in the system."
At this point, I want to A) crawl into a hole and B) Die. My first job and nothing is going right so far.
"Normally we go with the teacher in the system, but let me call the sub office."
*Sigh of relief/hope things will go well*
At this point, one of my students from my student teaching class came into the office and saw me, and I really hoped I would get it at that point, because to have one student see me and tell the others I was there and then I wouldn't be was just a cruel thought.
So the receptionist finished up her conversation and told me that they would go with me and not the one in the system. After she said that, I filled in the information, and then the OTHER sub walked in and asked about it. Can you say AWKWARD???? I finished filling it in, got the key and went to familiarize myself with the classroom and the instructions for the day.
I got set up, took my lunch to the fridge and prepared to pick the kids up in the FREEZING WEATHER!!!! Thankfully I had a really big jacket. hehe
I picked up the kids. I was nervous when we got to the classroom, because it's a whole new group of students I didn't know, but once I got in my teacher groove, everything went fine. I had a lot of fun, and I'm hoping the kids learned at least one thing.
Subbing for that class was especially nice, because they had two specials yesterday, which meant that I had about an hour to myself in the classroom. And the best part, was that they had music at the end of the day, which means they're dismissed from there.
Overall, after the little adventures, it was a good experience. I had one teacher tell me she wished she knew I could sub so she could have had me that day. I had another say that if her cold gets worse, she might ask me to come in. So, now that the teachers know I can sub, we'll see what happens.
(Sorry for the novel, but you get the whole story or nothing. ;D )
Congrats! Sometimes getting your foot in the door is all it takes.
ReplyDelete