Monday, August 20, 2012

What do you do?


…when a student is 15 minutes late coming in from recess?

…when students are blowing bubbles with their own spit in 2nd grade?

…when your 2nd graders will not sit still at all?

…when they will not follow directions?

…when you just want to throw in the towel and be done dealing with crazy student behaviors, demanding parents, and too many hoops to jump through?


I feel like I've about reached the end of my rope already this year, and we're not even a month in. Maybe this storm will help cool down our hot Arizona weather and calm the kids down.

I can hope and pray, right?

2 comments:

  1. I would have them put heads down on desks, and every time you catch them blowing bubbles, being super squirmy, etc, you deduct recess time. that can be for individual kiddos, or the whole group. I know it's a pain to have to be in your classroom babysitting while recess is going on, but perhaps they'll quickly learn that they don't want to stay in all the time?

    As long as you set the rules, if one is broken, consequences must be made! er, recess deducted! Or they owe you something (a paragraph in writing or something academic about listening to the teacher and following directions).

    I have already had my kids line up a million times this year at our door. If I see even one kid squirming (or if you have them go to tables) I make the whole class get up and go back. I have them do it again. Soon, the one kid who thinks it's funny has no friends and everyone is upset because he can't keep still. Plus, it's annoying having to repeat a transition a million times.

    I'm so sorry you've got an immature bunch. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. that comment about going to their tables didn't make sense...

    what I meant was that if you are having your kids go inside the classroom to their DESKS, and they can't do it without talking etc, have them all line up outside the door again and do it again until it's done right.

    Catch it EARLY on in the year, and your kids will catch on to you and realize you're serious when you say, "sit at your desk and get your writing notebook out". That way you don't repeat a million times.

    ReplyDelete