Most of you know I've been working on a story. Well, it's called Garnet, and for those of you who have read Dracula, it's about the character Lucy Westenra. Or at least, it's the story from her point of view, meaning she has NO idea what's going on, although I do have her understand a few things. (Random, I know, but people are like, "She has to know what's going on." Well she doesn't. :P)
Anyways, I had taken a break from it, because I had writers' block, and in the middle of the second revision, and it's hard to write if you have the block. It's been a couple of months, but now I'm back to working on it. So far, I'm maybe halfway through chapter 4, well, little over half with the revisions, and I'm at 27 pages. I believe the prologue, plus the first four chapters will make an amazing 30 or 31 pages. Which, is almost half the story. Granted, with my revision, I've added a lot to the first 5 chapters (including the prologue).
It's been fun to work with the characters. There are some that I started with that had a minimal part, but have been given more. There are others that got completely reworked and/or removed/replaced from the story. From all the things I've seen/read about Dracula and others' interpretations of it, they've made Lucy seem like a ditzy blonde. And well.... that just didn't seem like the person I imagined her to be. I thought, yes, she's rich, so she's a little spoilt, she's got a carefree attitude, and a touch of blondeness (like me), but she's not a total ditz. I've given her some depth so she's not just a little random, gorgeous, rich girl that Dracula randomly chose. Remember, he thinks methodically, so he can't have said, "Oh, she's gorgeous, I think I'll just pick her." I'm sure he had to study her character, he had to work on her mind without her knowing. For goodness sake, she went to school, why not give her a decent brain? lol ANyways, I'm gonna end that rant. XD
It's amazing to me how much work goes into a story. Just a story that's like 70 pages takes a lot of effort. And I can't wait to see where this story heads. I've got so many different ideas plaguing my mind for stories that want to come out. With those ideas are one that isn't related, but I think I'm going to make a to do list of things before I die. I mean, seriously, I think it'd be good to have goals. And if I can complete even a few of them, I think I could be happy. I mean, I'll be happy no matter what, but you know what I mean. :P
Anyways, I'll post my list later. (I've only got maybe 4 or 5 right now. :) It'll grow.)
I can't even imagine how hard it is to write a book.You're amazing Courtney dear. I'm just wanting to write a children's picture book and it'll be quite the process! I can't wait to see your list. Perhaps I'll have to copy you... with your permission of course. :)
ReplyDelete